DIY Swimwear - My Guide to Sewing Bikinis
SEWING PATTERN USED:
- Fabric: Performance Nylon & Spandex Fabric in black from Joann
- Elastic: Rubber Swimwear Elastic (click image below)
- Thread: It's recommended to use a wooly nylon thread for swimwear, however I just used normal thread on my serger and felt that is okay. It just may be less durable over time.
- Loop Turner: For easily turning the straps.
- Seam Ripper: For opening a section to flip the bottoms right side out.
I used the measurement and sizing chart provided with the patterns and was able to easily pick the perfect size!
My measurements for sizing reference:
Size I chose: Medium in both the top and bottoms
ADJUSTMENTS MADE TO THE PATTERN:
I decided I wanted a still cheeky but slightly more covered version of the Freddy bottoms so I just created the paper pattern shown above on the left (compared to the Freddy pattern on the right). I made the bottoms lower waisted as well.
I did not make any adjustments to the top.
- Follow along with the video tutorials provided with each patter, it helps so much!
- Take your time, the elastic and fabric can be slippery so go slowly.
Comment if you have any questions! I hope you found this blog post helpful!